Friday, September 24, 2004

Why the hell are you reading this?

My favorite movie of all time is "Network". It is my favorite movie for two reasons. 1. I love absurdity and 2. the movie predicted the future. Shows from Jerry Springer to Survivor to the O'Reilly Factor can all be traced back to some concept introduced in that film.

In one very poignant scene, Howard Beale is ranting on about how television has too much power over the masses. He explains that those who are in charge of the programming are lying and manipulating people and towards the end of his spiel, he demands that people turn the television off and keep it off.

As a result, Howard Beale's show becomes more popular because he is saying things that others on television won't say. The obvious irony is that his plea for people to turn their televisions off is so compelling, that it actually causes them to watch more television.

So, why am I telling you this? Well, because I am writing my first blog entry and, by doing so, and am acknowledging that I am so egotistical that I believe that people should know what my opinions are. Furthermore, I am admitting to myself and the world that I may very well be doing this because it is the "hot new thing". I have jumped on a bandwagon. I think I'm going to be sick.

And, just as the fictional Howard Beale implored people to question why they are watching television in the first place, I would ask you why you read blogs. And, in this age where you can write anything on the internet and somebody might actually believe it, even if it is utter bullshit, is there any value to this? Don't you have anything better to do than to read the musings of a man who doesn't have enough sense not to begin a paragraph with a conjunction?

Of course, by questioning blogging in a blog, I am actually not-so-secretly hoping that you will read my blog, assuming that I am tenacious or opinionated enough to do more writing. So, actually, this is a trick. I am telling you, "Stop reading blogs!", hoping you'll read mine more often. What a bastard I am.

So, why have I chosen this as my first post? Simple. It's because I can't think of a good subject to begin with.

So, welcome to my blog.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home